What is it? The new Flow EX3 is an incredibly strong rim we’ve developed for enduro, downhill, and more demanding trail riding. Still lighter than competitors (580g for 27.5), the Flow EX3 is the ultimate rim for riders who push limits.
Why did Stans make it? With slacker angles and better suspension, today’s “trail bikes” are more capable than many downhill bikes were only a few years ago. Factor in e-bikes, and it is clear consumers are riding heavier, more capable bikes, and riding those bikes faster than ever. This rim can handle the fastest and most aggressive riders out there.
Does it replace the Flow MK3? No. The Flow MK3 remains one of the best rims made for aggressive trail and all mountain riding, but the Flow EX3 is built to handle even more.
What makes it so special? In a word: Tiebeam. The specific position of the brace inside this triple cavity rim lets it withstand far more impact force than any alloy rim we’ve ever tested. Our patented low sidewalls and stronger 6069 alloy construction together with a new bead-blasted finish and stronger overall rim shape make this the rim everyone is going to want in 2019.
Will it make me faster? Oh hell yes! This is the rim used by GT Factory’s Martin Maes to win both the Crankworx Whistler Enduro World Series and La Bresse World Cup DH last year. It enters the market with a proven track record of performance.
Who will be using it?
Look for the Flow EX3 on these 2019 DH and enduro teams in 2019:
- GT Factory
- Atherton Bikes
Rim – 27.5″ – 580g and 29″ – 618g
Wheelset – 27.5″ – 2018g and 29″ -2115g (Using Stans Neo Hubs & Sapim spokes)
- Patented low-profile tubeless rim design balances lateral stiffness with radial compliance
- Designed, tested, and raced to victories on the World Cup DH and Enduro World Series circuits
- Built to handle the added speeds and increased forces of today’s longer travel trail, enduro, DH, and E-bikes
- Tiebeam triple-cavity rim design resists damage and prevents air loss under impacts
- 29mm internal width optimized for 2.35” to 2.8” Trail, All-mountain, and DH tires
- Most trusted tubeless system for easy setup and low maintenance
- 6069 aluminum alloy is stronger than conventional 6061 alloys
- Bead Blasted “BBQ” finish for added durability
The Flow EX3 is the most reliable tubeless rim made for handling faster speeds on the most demanding trails. If you’re looking for the ultimate rim for enduro and DH racing, something to
handle the increased weight and added speed of an E-bike, or just want the most durable rim possible, this is it. The Flow EX3 combines the 29mm internal width and durable 6069 aluminum
construction of the Flow MK3 with the incredibly strong triple cavity design of the classic Flow EX rim. The result is a new rim shape that perfectly balances radial compliance with lateral
stiffness and sets an entirely new benchmark for durability and impact resistance.
The Flow EX3 rim’s Tiebeam inner bridge lets it withstand impacts that would deform most rims to the point of air loss and structural failure. Even if you use a tire insert, huge impacts can
cause the sidewall of most rims to fold, causing air loss and eventual failure. But the Tiebeam brace and patented low sidewalls of the Flow EX3 resist this folding, maintaining air pressure
and structural integrity better than any other rim. Combined with the added durability of 6069 aluminum and WideRight 29mm inner width optimized for 2.35” to 2.8” tires, the Flow EX3 is the evolution of the Flow line for aggressive riding on today’s faster and more capable bikes and E-bikes. Every World Cup DH and Enduro World Series win, every hour of testing, riding, and
improving, it’s all here in the Flow EX3.
- Technology: RiACT, WideRight, BST, Tiebeam
- Rim Internal Width: 29.0mm
- Rim External Width: 32.6mm
- Rim Depth: 17.9mm
- Hole Count: 32-hole
- Drilling Style: Symmetrical
- Rim Color: Black Bead Blasted Finish (BBQ)
- Material: 6069 Aluminum Alloy
- Brakes: Disc only
- Rim Weight: 580g (27.5) / 618g (29”)
- ERD: 564mm (27.5″) / 602mm (29″)
- ETRTO: 584×29.0 (27.5″) / 622×29.0 (29″)
- ISO: 27.5″x32.6mm / 29″x32.6mm
- Tape: 30mm
- Valve: Presta
- Max Spoke Tension: 125kgf (1225N)
- Max Pressure with 2.4″ Tire: 37psi
- Max Pressure with 2.8″ Tire: 26psi
- Rim Weight: 580g (27.5″) / 618g (29″)
(Specs and pricing are subject to change without notice. Weights may vary based on size and parts)